IWI’s campaigning work is conducted on behalf of its members, and particularly all the collective bodies that are identified below. Scroll down the page to see brief profiles and links to the web sites of other organisations involved in managing and promoting canals and waterways. Members are grouped by category:  international bodies –  waterway authorities –  waterway operators (transport or tourism) –  regions/local authorities –  associations, societies, trusts, foundations –  publishers, media, consultants, industry.
1. International bodies
The World Association for Waterborne Transport Infrastructure, founded 1885
(Secretariat in Brussels, Belgium)
World Historic and Cultural Canal Cities Cooperation Organization (Secretariat in Yangzhou, China)
2. Waterway authorities
3. Waterway operators (transport, tourism and boats)
4. Regional/local authorities
5. Associations, societies, trusts, foundations
6. Publishers, media, consultants, industry
Other sites and links
- European Boating Association: EU campaigning and lobbying on behalf of all boatowners and the marine industry. Site maintained and regularly updated by EBA officers.
- National Waterways Conference: The National Waterways Conference was founded to ensure adequate waterways investment in the USA and to encourage a sensible approach to user taxes and fees.
- Waterways Council: The USA body, chaired by Tim Parker, advocates development of the nation’s waterway infrastructure (‘Keep America Moving’), providing family-wage jobs, supporting exports, and protecting the environment. The waterways relieve traffic congestion, are the most energy-efficient mode of surface transportation, and are vital to the nation’s agriculture, manufacturing and energy sectors.
- American Canal Society: Dedicated to Historic Canal Research, Preservation, Restoration, and Parks. The society was formed in 1972 to promote the wise use of America’s many historic canal resources.
- New York State Canal System: Site invites visitors to the historic Erie Canal (formerly Barge Canal) system, to “cruise the past, unlock the adventure”. A unique, operating heritage waterway in USA.
- The Trent-Severn Waterway: A photo and cruising guide for the beautiful Trent-Severn Waterway, in Ontario, Canada. Part of North America’s ‘Great Loop’ circle route, this 240-mile long chain of lakes and rivers are connected through a series of canals locks, including the 2 tallest lift locks in the world.
- Canal Society of New Jersey: A non-profit organization formed in 1969 to preserve, restore and promote the history of the New Jersey’s canals, especially the exceptional Morris Canal with its preserved locks and inclined planes.
- Lachine canal : Located in Montreal, the Lachine Canal runs 14.5 kilometres from the Old Port to Lake Saint-Louis.
- EuroCanals : digital guides to French and European waterways by Tom Sommers
- Canal Society of Ohio
- Augusta Canal
- Hans Grüner, Nürnberg: Extensive documentation on both the current and historic (King Ludwig’s) canals between the Rhine (Main) and Danube in Germany. Link takes you to the pages on the new (1992) canal. Pages for the old canal. D
Do you have a canal or waterways site that you would like us to link to ? If so, mail us with a few details and we will review your site. We will notify you by return mail of your inclusion in our links page.
Aalto Engineering, Finland • Afmitech Friesland b.V., Netherlands • Alliance des Rhodaniens, France • Aqua Libra, Belgium • Aquamatix, UK • Assn pour le Développement du Tourisme Fluvial, France • Australian Canal Society, Australia • B-MAR Marine Insurance, Belgium • Best Boats International Yachtbroker, Netherlands • Biomatrix Solutions, UK • Braunston Marina Ltd, UK • Bydgoszcz City Council, Poland • Canal and River Trust, UK • Canals Group (The), Canada • Canaux de Bretagne, France • Castelmoron Nautic, France • Centro Internazionale Civiltà dell’Acqua, Italy • Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Association, USA • Cotswold Canals Trust, UK • Dalslands Kanal AB, Sweden • Danube Propeller, Serbia • DBA The Barge Association, UK • Delaware Canal 21, USA • Editions du Breil, France • Entente Interdépartementale du Bassin du Lot, France • Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor, USA • France Fluviale, France • Göta Kanalbolag AB, Sweden • Town of Hancock, USA • HISWA Holland Marine Industry, Netherlands • Hobbs of Henley, UK • Inland Waterways Association, UK • Inland Waterways Association of Ireland, Ireland • Inland Waterways Authority of India, India • Inland Waterways Development Association of Nigeria, Nigeria • Jachthaven Wetterwille, Netherlands • Kuhnle Tours, Germany • LeBoat (Crown Travel), UK • Linssen & Linssen Boating Holidays, Belgium • Linssen Yachts, Netherlands • Locaboat Holidays, France • Lys Sans Frontières, France • MAREC D.V. Maasland Recreation Centre, Belgium • McMullan & Associates, Inc., USA • Messe Düsseldorf GmbH, Germany • Monmouthshire, Brecon & Abergavenny Canals Trust, UK • Mosanaut, Belgium • Musée et Jardins du Canal du Midi, France • National Inland Waterways Authority, Nigeria • Nautische Boulevard Wessem, Netherlands • NAUTIV vzw, Belgium • Netzwerk Deutsche Wasserwege, Germany • New York State Canal Corporation, USA • Ontario Waterway Cruises Inc, Canada • Parks Canada, Canada • Phoenix Science Press Ltd, China • Plavba a vodni cesty, Czech Rep. • Rabobank Peel, Maas en Leudal, Netherlands • Ředitelství vodních cest ČR, Czech Rep. • Royal Canal Amenity Group Ltd., Ireland • Saale-Ester Kanal Förderverein e.V., Germany • Scarano Boat, USA • Scottish Canals, UK • Scottish Waterways Trust, UK • Sjöfartsverket, Sweden • Stad Gent – Watertoerisme, Belgium • Státni Plavební Správa – Reditelství, Czech Rep. • Swedish & Norwegian Canals Association, Sweden • Tingdene Marinas Ltd, UK • Transmanche Consultants s.a.r.l., France • Unser Finowkanal e.V., Germany • Vlaamse Pleziervaart Federatie v.z.w., Belgium • De Vlaamse Waterweg, Belgium • PWMC Vode Vojvodine, Serbia • Voies Navigables de France, France • Voyageur Ltd (FrenchWaterways.com), UK • Vrolijks Bureau, Netherlands • Waterways Ireland, UK – Ireland • World Canal Cities Organization (WHCCCCO), China